Thomas and Hannah Talbot
U.S. Copyright Registration TX0007522662
Thomas and Hannah Talbot arrived in Chicago from Taunton, Massachusetts in 1862. They resided on Canal Street near Old St. Patrick's Church on Des Plaines. Thomas was a craftsman until his entry into the saloon business on 17th and Wentworth. Thomas and Hannah were the proprietor of a well-established business until 1878 when the area was redeveloped after the Chicago Fire of 1871. That part of Chicago was not damaged during the fire, and the railroad started acquiring the properties in the late 1880s. Thomas was a teamster and private contractor at the end of his career.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-grandson of Thomas and Hannah Talbot and has a collection of family photographs that includes Hannah with her daughter-in-law Katherine (Kittie) and granddaughter Marie in 1897.
Thomas and Hannah Talbot moved to 4132 S. Wabash after they sold the property on Wentworth. They were involved with St. Elizabeth's Church. Edward and Katherine Talbot with their children lived in his parent's two-flat on Wabash. Thomas passed away in 1892, and Hannah was laid to rest in 1903. The property was acquired by their son Edward and his brothers. They sold it to finance Edward's cable car conversion business in the early 1900s.